Thursday, April 10, 2008

It's a Boy!

Cara just gave birth to a beautiful and healthy baby boy. Judging by his many chins, it looks like he is very healthy. He weighed in at a whopping 9lbs 5oz and measured 21.25. Notice I keep saying "he" because his name hasn't quite been finalized yet. We were so positive it was going to be a girl since day one that we didn't settle on a boy name. Hopefully we'll get there tomorrow.

Cara was upset that she wasn't able to deliver naturally, but a healthy mom and baby is what matters. She was having some heavy contractions at 7cm dilated for nearly six hours. Since nothing seemed to move the doc suggested a section would be the best bet. She put up a hell of a fight the entire time, though. It amazes me how incredibly strong one person can be for 16 hours straight.

I was able to watch the section through a glass door (thank God because I'm not sure I would have stayed conscious otherwise). The doctor was awesome, and I was surprised how fast they were able to get him out. Cara's nursing friend Shelly got out of bed in the middle of the night on her day off to be there to get him all cleaned up afterward, so that was a huge relief to both of us. We love Shelly. I was able to hold him while they got Cara all stitched up, but all he wanted to do was eat. I'll have to admit, I got teary-eyed when I saw that he was fat and healthy. After I pulled myself together, I counted 10 fingers and 10 toes (not on one hand, of course) and about lost it again.

The grandparent were ecstatic. In fact, they got in trouble a couple of times for waiting in the hall instead of the family lounge. It was really cool seeing everyone in the same room for the first time. Right now Cara is trying to get some rest. The last couple weeks were rough, and the last two days were unrelenting. We're both just really thankful that our baby boy is here and both he and mom are doing fine. As cliche as it sounds, it truly is a miracle. I can't wait to get home and post some pictures. He's only been in the world a few hours and I already have a TON of pictures. Hopefully I can get those up in a few days.

Thanks to everyone for your constant and continual prayers. We are both grateful to have such a great support of family and friends. We'll talk soon.

-The Stansifer Three

2 comments:

  1. How incredibly amazing! What a beautiful blessing for two of the most beautiful people I know! Congratulations! I am so excited to meet him and so thankful that you are all well! We will keep you all in our prayers and pray that Cara heals quickly.

    Casey, thank you for this blog. It was written so well and was so touching! WE LOVE YOU ALL! All THREE of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I'm crying tears of joy that he's finally here and Cara is well. Love you guys and I'm SO miserable that I can't actually be in Ft. Wayne right now.

    Thank you for taking the time to update the blog- I've been checking constantly! Casey- you're already a great dad- by the way you described the whole event :) Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete